Subscribe to the blog
For most people, getting a dream job is just that- A dream. In reality, anybody can achieve a milestone in their career. All you have to do is push yourself and be prepared.
And if you want to pursue a job as a Scrum Master, we are delighted to help you!
Here, you will find the most relevant Scrum master interview questions you should know to maximize your chances of getting hired.
Top 5 Universal Scrum Master Interview Questions!
You can never know the predictability of interview questions, but sometimes it’s better to prepare for the obvious. Some of these questions are straightforward, and mastering them may leave an impression that you know the basics well.
- What is the Agile Manifesto?
Why you should care about it: As a Scrum master, your job starts with ensuring that your team follows the Scrum framework. While the Scrum framework has its own values and principles, it is worth knowing its founding pillar.
How can you answer this question: The Agile manifesto in software development is a document with four values and twelve principles. These values and principles describe an iterative approach to handling complex projects. Knowing this manifesto can give the impression that you are aware of the basics of Agile.
- What is Scrum?
Why you should care about it: The interviewer may use this question as a conversation starter. While the scope of the Scrum framework is massive, you need to provide a concise answer.
How can you answer this question: You can sum up the definition of Scrum as ‘A framework that helps people, teams, and organizations generate value and address adaptive challenges.’
The interviewer may also ask you this question in other forms like:
- Describe Scrum in 5 mins or less.
- What is your basic understanding of the Scrum framework?
- What is the Difference Between Scrum and the Waterfall Method?
Why you should care about it: As one of the most common Scrum Master interview questions, the interviewer here wants to test your basic knowledge.
How can you answer this question: A waterfall is a conservative project management approach where teams do not need to communicate and emphasizes a linear progression. In this methodology, the next project phase follows after the completion of the previous one, hence, the name 'Waterfall'.
On the flip side, the Scrum framework follows an iterative approach where the development team is in constant contact with each other. It has three crucial principles- Transparency, Inspection, and Adaption.
- What Are Scrum Artifacts?
Why you should care about it: One of the most critical responsibilities of a Scrum master is keeping your team and stakeholders aligned during your project. With this question, the interviewer wishes to know how you can inspire the team's productivity.
How can you answer this question: Scrum artifacts are documents that provide stakeholders and the Scrum team information about the project scope, progress, and action plan.
The three Scrum artifacts are- the product backlog, sprint backlog, and product increment.
- Product Backlog: It is an ordered list of everything needed to build a product. It includes a short description of the desired features, bugs to be resolved, and more.
- Sprint Backlog: A document stating the tasks that a team wants to accomplish during a sprint.
- Product Increment: At the end of each sprint, the product increment document states the deliverables achieved by completing the product backlog tasks.
- Which Events Must the Scrum Master Be Present In?
Why you should care about it: Whether you are a beginner or an experienced professional, knowing the roles and responsibilities of a Scrum Master role is vital. By asking this question, the interviewer wants to understand how you will implement the Scrum framework for your team.
How can you answer this question: The Scrum Master has to be present during the following events:
- Sprint Planning: Here, the whole team participates and decides the scope and task list for the project. At this stage, the Scrum master aids in estimating the task list and resolving questions. They also help the team decide on what could be delivered realistically.
- Daily Stand-Ups: A Scrum Master must initiate and facilitate daily stand-ups to inspect the project's progress and check on the team members.
- Sprint Review: The entire Scrum team and stakeholders participate in this meeting to review completed work and update accordingly.
- Retrospectives: After the sprint review, the Scrum master and the entire team attend the retrospective to examine how the just-completed sprint went, how the team performed, and note areas of improvement for the team for future sprints.
- One-on-One Meetings: The Scrum master meets individually with the team members to address any roadblocks and resolve them.
Top 3 Situational Scrum Master Interview Questions!
While mastering fundamentals is essential, you should also prepare for situational or behavioral questions as interviewers want insight into how you would react to challenging work situations.
Here are some situational Scrum Master interview questions you should brace yourself for!
- Give an example of a time when you removed an impediment.
Why you should care about it: This is your chance during the interview to shine. Every company needs a capable Scrum master who keeps an eye on their team and resolves roadblocks.
How can you answer this question: You can answer this question by narrating your past experiences and explaining how you dealt with an impediment in detail.
For instance, if a team member didn't complete a task during a sprint, you can tell the interviewer the different strategies you applied to help the team member perform better. These strategies could range from holding one-on-one conversations to creating an environment where team members can speak what’s on their minds.
- Have You Managed More Than One Team at a Time?
Why you should care about it: This Scrum master interview question is much better than the over-used ‘How much experience do you have in the industry?’.
This is your chance to showcase your experience and management skills to the interviewer and gain an edge over other candidates.
How can you answer this question: The fact is that there is no universal way to answer this question. As a rule of thumb, most Scrum masters can handle 2-3 teams. But every company has unique project management requirements, so the answer of the candidates may differ.
Here, you can frame the answer per your experience and skills. You can also mention why you enjoy this role and openly discuss the pain points. If you are a fresher, you can be honest about your lack of experience and instead share your perspective on how you will manage teams.
- Why Do You Want to Become a Scrum Master at Our Company?
Why you should care about it: Every company wants to know a potential candidate can add value to their products and services. They also want to understand how well you will fit into their culture and what is your working style. It would help if you have a proper understanding of the day-to-day responsibilities of a Scrum master to answer this question.
How can you answer this question: This is an open-ended question, but your perspective matters. For starters, you need to do proper research on the company you are being interviewed for. Second, your answer shouldn’t be only about the company's growth but also your personal growth within the company. Being transparent about your vision for the company and yourself is the key.
Accelerate Your Career as a Scrum Master Today!
The role of a Scrum master has evolved over the years. They have to juggle multiple responsibilities, such as helping teams deliver high-value products in short cycles, enabling a better feedback system, adopting the Scrum framework for adapting to changes, and so on.
Becoming a Scrum Master is not hard, but leading your team through constant changes and overcoming challenges requires proper study, focus, and courage. If you are ready to advance your career as a Scrum master, it’s time to master the fundamentals, create a knockout resume, and prepare yourself for Scrum master interview questions.
And if you need a guiding hand, our Scrum Master certification courses can help you gain insights into how to use Scrum tools better and scale Agile transformation at an enterprise level.
Take the first step in getting your dream job by shooting us a mail today!