Subscribe to the blog
Executing large development projects is never easy. They need professionals like Scrum product owners who can present the product vision to the stakeholders, communicate critical information, track progress, and ensure that the deliverables stay on track.
They wear multiple hats and help the development team resolve complex challenges during a sprint. While Scrum product owners play one of the most prominent roles in the Scrum development process, becoming one requires validating skills, expertise, and knowledge that aligns customer needs with business value.
Enter Certified Scrum product owner (CSPO) Certification.
CSPO Certification is provided by the world-renowned Scrum Alliance institute that prepares aspiring professionals to become skilled product owners. It will help you lead complex development projects and demonstrate a deep understanding of the Scrum framework.
If you are considering becoming a Scrum product owner, this guide will help you understand the benefits of the CSPO certification. It includes an in-depth understanding of how it will help you expand your current role and career scope. Let’s dig in.
What is CSPO Certification All About?
One of the most crucial things in Scrum is improving product value and accelerating deployment. A CSPO certification will help you understand the following aspects of the role of a Scrum product owner:
- Understand the core components of the Scrum Framework.
- Gain insights into the core responsibilities of a product owner, including how to help Scrum Masters and the development team resolve complexities for a successful sprint.
- Learn how to create a product vision and roadmap backed by market knowledge and customer feedback.
- Understand the essentials of creating a product backlog, how to prioritize the items in a product backlog, and groom it continuously according to changing requirements.
- Learn to estimate the hours you need to complete product backlog items.
- Know the goal of release management and why software should be released early and frequently.
- Learn different risk assessment and forecasting techniques and tools.
What Are the Benefits of CSPO Certification?
With 87% of companies adopting the Scrum methodology, they need capable professionals who know the framework and can spearhead complex development projects to reduce time-to-market. Let’s discover the top benefits of a CSPO certification that will help make your profile stand out.
Increased Career Opportunities
CSPO certification is recognized by global organizations as a standard for product ownership. Holding the certification can help individuals stand out in the job market and open up new opportunities for career advancement. Research shows that CSPO certification helped 39% of professionals enhance their career prospects.
Let’s do a quick comparison below:
The figures in the above graph are industry average, they may vary depending on your skills, expertise, and industry experience.
Getting CSPO-certified also opens a new pathway for the following people:
- Scrum Masters interested in the business side of things can benefit from a CSPO certification.
- Team managers who want to advance to leadership roles can demonstrate their knowledge and skills with a CSPO certification.
- Most people confuse Scrum product owners with project managers. But they follow different methodologies. If you are a project manager who wants to become a Scrum product owner, getting CSPO certified will help you explore the opportunity.
Improved Product Development
Scrum product owners must be a jack of all trades to effectively prioritize their team's workload. From having an extensive tech knowledge base, understanding market trends, and conducting risk assessment tests - they are the cornerstone in creating a successful backlog geared towards meeting stakeholders' needs. Achieving this requires both strong planning skills as well as unlimited resourcefulness!
CSPO-certified individuals have a strong understanding of the Scrum framework and its principles. They know all the techniques and tools to effectively prioritize and manage the product backlog and work with the development team to deliver high-quality products that meet customer needs.
Better Communication and Collaboration
Most aspiring Scrum product owners think having technical skills and knowledge is good enough to land a high-paying job. But one must not forget that Scrum product owners are the primary communicators between stakeholders and the development team. Developing communication and collaboration skills is equally critical.
A crucial benefit of the CSPO certification is that it emphasizes the importance of effective communication and collaboration within a Scrum team. Certified individuals understand how to work with stakeholders and other team members to ensure everyone stays on the same page and works towards a common goal.
Enhanced Leadership Skills
Scrum values focus on accountability and ownership. If there is no team ownership, completing the product backlog on time will be impossible. To establish transparency and ensure that things remain on track, the product owner and the Scrum Master must exhibit leadership skills and create an environment that encourages team ownership.
The CSPO certification also focuses on developing leadership skills, which include making tough decisions, taking project ownership, and driving business outcomes. These skills are critical for anyone looking to advance their career as a product owner.
Grow With a Global Community
As a CSPO-certified individual, you become a part of a global community of product owners and Scrum professionals. This community provides a wealth of resources, including training, networking opportunities, and ongoing support to help you grow and develop as a product owner.
Another benefit of a CSPO certification is that it is a stepping stone to other advanced certifications. You can also explore other certifications such as Release Train Engineer (RTE), Project Management Professional (PMP), and SAFe Product Owner.
What Skills Will You Develop By Getting CSPO-Certified?
Here’s a quick overview of which skills you will develop by getting CSPO-certified:
- Expertise in the Scrum framework: A clear understanding of the roles, events, and artifacts of the Scrum framework and how they work together to deliver a user-friendly product.
- Enhanced product backlog management: Effectively create, prioritize, and maintain a product backlog that reflects the stakeholder's needs and the organizational goals.
- Stakeholder management: Identify and engage stakeholders, understand their needs and expectations, and seamlessly communicate with them and the development team.
- In-depth business analysis: Understand how to analyze and evaluate business opportunities and risks. Professionals will also become proficient in market research tools and critically evaluating product issues before they become a huge obstacle.
- Agile mindset: You will learn how to think and work in an Agile way that includes embracing change and uncertainty and continuously working towards improving the product.
Want to dive deeper? Read this guide to understand the top skills of a product owner.
How to Get Started?
So if you are thinking about getting your CSPO certification, here’s what you can do to get started:
- Study the Agile Manifesto and read the Scrum Guide: If you are new to the field, it makes sense to research and study the Agile Manifesto and the Scrum Guide. This will help you grasp the concepts faster.
- Find a reputable training institute: Completing your CSPO training is critical for acing your exam. These programs have highly-vetted instructors who help you clear your doubts and explore advanced concepts.
- Apply and give the examination: You need to create an account on Scrum.org to apply for the CSPO examination.
Getting CSPO Certified is Definitely Worth It!
In the hypercompetitive job market, it may seem impossible to map out career growth. If you want to stand out from the competition, it's essential to continuously cultivate your skillset and demonstrate that you are not only capable of meeting goals but also taking initiative in leading teams through unexpected changes.
Take your product ownership career to the next level with ATC’s CSPO Training Program! Learn from only the best faculty in their respective field - each instructor has at least 25 years of industry expertise and know-how. Unlock new knowledge and cultivate essential skills during this deep dive into innovative approaches for success as a Product Owner.
You can check out our training calendar here, and if you book a seat today, you can save as much as $450!
How well is the product owner certificate recognized in the market?
Certified Scrum professionals are an invaluable asset to any organization because they have the capacity to effectively manage a myriad of factors, including time and resources, while still having the ability to communicate with stakeholders and maintain vision. The rewards for such expertise come in many forms; not only do CSPO-certified product owners gain recognition within their field but also receive substantial salaries as well as other enticing benefits.
What is the validity of CSPO Certification?
Earning your CSPO® certification is just the first step. To ensure you can keep relying on its benefits, it must be regularly renewed every two years – making sure that this valuable credential never slips away.
What is the eligibility to take CSPO certification?
Achieving the CSPO certification is simple: no prerequisites are necessary! However, to gain a more comprehensive understanding of Scrum, it's beneficial to familiarize yourself with some key Scrum guides.
Done with CSPO! What next?
You can enroll in the Scrum Alliance's Advanced Certified Scrum Product Owner® (A-CSPO®) course after receiving your CSPO certification. It is an advanced-level course after CSPO.
Does CSPO increase salary?
A certified scrum product owner's pay in India increases by 9%, mostly for the ones with one to four years of expertise. People with various levels of expertise report similar wage increases, giving this certification a complete value for the money.
Can I take the CSPO exam without training?
As of now, there is no exam required to become a Certified Scrum Product Owner. You can obtain the certification by learning from a Certified Scrum Trainer® (CST®) such as ATC.